Sunday, February 28, 2010

End of the Weekend

I wanted to redo the duck dish that I made for Valentines Day, but I could not find any fresh duck since my butcher is closed on Sundays.  We ended up at Sam's Club to buy 75 lbs of pork rinds or something like that.  At some point I got lost in the endless maze of bulk supplies and ended up in the meat section.  It actually looked like they had some pretty good porterhouse steaks, so I picked those up.  I was just talking about how I do not have enough posts about red meat, so here we are.

I made the steak with a balsamic sauce and carmelized onions.  I got it off the Food Network website but cut it down a little and added the onions.  Also, I substituted garlic for shallots.

Ingredients
2 porterhouse steaks
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup honey
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp mustard
1/4 tspn allspice
kosher salt
pepper
sugar
1 white onion, sliced
olive oil

1.  Combine balsamic vinegar, ketchup, honey, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and allspice in a small saucepan.  Bring to a simmer over medium heat.  Simmer for about 10 minutes until thickened.  Adjust to taste with salt, pepper, and sugar.
2.  Meanwhile, film the bottom of a large saute pan with olive oil.  Heat it over medium-low heat until hot.  Add the onion slices and a pinch of salt and stir frequently for 20 minutes until carmelized.
3.  Heat a grill over high heat.  Lightly salt and pepper the steaks.  Put them on the grill and cook for 3 minutes, then, without flipping, turn them 45 degrees and cook for 2 more minutes.  Flip the steaks and repeat the process.
4.  Remove from grill and wrap tightly with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
5.  Spread sauce on top of the steak and top with carmelized onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment