Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mexican Monday

I felt sure as if I had posted the recipe for fajitas on here, but upon performing a search, I realized I have not put it up.  This is a plainly a glaring oversight on my part since I have fajitas about twice a month.  Anyway, this is an amazingly easy dish to make and it only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.  I didn't take any pictures of this since I felt sure that it was already on here.  I'll take a picture next time.  You could also grill the chicken, but I don't have a real grill in my apartment, so I just cook it in a pan.

Ingredients (serves 2)
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into long, thin strips
1 heaping tbsp chile powder
2 tspn cumin seeds, ground
1 tspn kosher salt
1/4 tspn cayenne pepper (or more if you want it spicier)
1 white onion, sliced into thin strips
1 green pepper, ribs removed, cut into thin strips
6-8 flour tortillas
1/2 lime
olive or canola oil

1.  Combine chile powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt together in a bowl and stir to evenly distribute.
2.  Rub the chile mixture all over the chicken so it is completely covered.  Set aside.
3.  Film the bottom of a large saute pan with olive oil and heat over medium heat for a few minutes.  Add the onion, pepper, and a pinch of kosher salt to the pan.  Cook, stirring frequently, until onions begin to brown and peppers become soft (about 5-7 minutes).
4.  Remove onions and peppers from pan and reserve on the side in a bowl covered with foil.  Add chicken to the pan and cook, stirring frequently until chicken is just done (about 7 minutes).
5.  Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan over medium high heat.  Add a flour tortilla to the pan once the pan is hot.  Cook for about 15-20 seconds and then flip it over and cook for another 15 seconds.  Put the tortilla on a plate and cover it with a towel.  Repeat this process for all tortillas.
6.  Remove the chicken from pan, put it in a bowl, squeeze lime over the chicken, and cover with foil for a few minutes.
7.  Serve it all together with salsa and cheddar cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment