Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Celebration

For the third consecutive time, Michelle and I started a job on the exact same day.  I'm not sure if that means we are equally good at finding jobs or equally terrible at keeping jobs, but it's got to be one of them.  Anyway, to celebrate, we went out to Smith & Wollensky's

They seated us back near the windows for the big day.  A few tables down, some guy was cackling absurdly loud.  I'm almost positive one of the waiters had to tell him to calm down.  I don't think he was drunk, I think he was just annoying.

We ordered the chateaubriand for two because it sounded better than anything else.  We also got a half bottle of Rombauer Cabernet.  Rombauer must purposefully make their wines sweeter than the counterparts at other wineries because I've noticed that is a common thread running through their wines.  We also ordered a side of truffle mac & cheese, or as I like to call it, "the Best Side Dish Ever."

The chateaubriand had a beautiful crust on it and was cooked to a perfect medium rare.  It also came with some bernaise sauce, but I'm pretty sure it was of the Knorr variety since it didn't separate as it got cold, but whatever, the steak was delicious.


However, the star of the day was the truffled mac & cheese.  It had surprisingly large pieces of truffles in it and it was so perfectly savory that I'm not sure if they could have improved it at all.  I would have ordered four of these had I known it would have been so good.

We finished the dinner with an Orange Cheesecake.  While it was one of the better cheesecakes that I've ever had, the whole dinner was purely overshadowed by the mac & cheese.  I thought about getting a glass of 1986 Chateau D'Yquem, but I figured that could be an adventure for another day after we had been working for a while.





No comments:

Post a Comment