Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Drumbeat Approaches

No matter how hard I close my eyes and wish, I can't seem to delay the fact that law school is looming in just the next few days.  I have also learned that not buying my books does not delay the start either since apparently the world doesn't revolve around me...yet.  On Saturday, I finally gave in and was eviscerated by the bookstore bought my books.  Every semester when I pick up my absurdly heavy stack of books to purchase and the cashier reads the total, I feel like Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat has ripped my head off of my body (Finish  Him!!!!!!!).  After buying my books, I was wallowing in a pool of self-pity.  If you have been reading this blog for long enough, you know the way I lift myself out of such pools is to go out to eat somewhere.  Since I'm trying to be at least semi-thrifty, I looked up available 1,000 point reservations on http://www.opentable.com/ (a great site, by the way).  The closest, cheapest, and soonest reservation was at Rosebud Theater District (70 W. Madison).  I snapped up the reservation faster than you can say "baked clams," and off I went.

I hadn't eaten all day and it was nearing 4:00pm (the time of the reservation and restaurant opening), so I felt a bit like I was kicking down the door to get in, fortunately I didn't utter the words "early bird," so I think I'm still safe.

We got an order of baked clams to start.  They had a  nice garlic flavor and everything, but the breading was extremely mushy.  Also they were served with lemon twists instead of wedges.  Even though they look more elegant on the plate, they are difficult and messy to squeeze, and hence no good.  I'd much rather take practicality over some senseless attempt at elegance anyway.  I'm pretty sure I would not order the baked clams again (they were so mushy that  I almost doubt that they were baked).

For a main dish I had the Malfaldine Bolognese.  As with most Italian restaurants, the dish was a comically large portion.  I'll never understand this concept as long as I live, but I guess that's the way it is.  The meat had some nice flavor, but the tomato sauce was a bit bland.  Another huge problem I saw was that the noodles were overcooked.  We were the only people in the restaurant (on account of it being 4:00p.m.), so if an Italian restaurant cannot get pasta cooked correctly when there are only two people present, there is a major problem that would likely express itself in more extreme ways in a more crowded dining room.

For $12, I suppose my dish was worth it, especially if you subscribe to the notion of leftovers (I don't).  The 1,000 opentable points that I received also probably pushed it from the realm of average (with no return trip) to "return trip if there is nothing else good open."  I would not come here and expect to be wowed with wonders of culinary delight, but for the price and perks, it is fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment